Thursday, June 2, 2011

Asleep- Illustration Friday 5/27/11



There are 2 champion sleepers I can think of when I think of sleeping ( something I myself do not do nearly enough). Those sleepers are Rip Van Winkle-who sleeps for 20 years and Sleeping Beauty ( aka Briar Rose, Talia, Aurora)-who took a short
nap of 100 years

For this week's Illustration Friday I present Briar Rose, Talia, Aurora whatever name you give to Sleeping Beauty, doing what she does best... sleeping.

So this is of course not done, it's my color comp for the piece since I once again ran out of time this week to produce a finished version. The final will be coming soon as part of my portfolio facelift series. She's based on how I sleep, so that may not be that princess like.

I love all the versions of Sleeping Beauty. One of the darkest is Basile's "Sole, Luna, e Talia" Basile's version, the sleep did not stem from a curse, but was prophesied. The prince did not wake Talia from the sleep with a kiss, but raped her, and when she gave birth to two children, one sucked on her finger, drawing out the piece of flax that had put her to sleep, which woke her.

In Perrault's version The Prince wakes up Beauty, they get secretly married, have 2 children, the Prince ascends to the throne and her now mother-in-law is found to be of ogre lineage and wants to eat the children and her. Luckily the cook substitutes the meat with lamb, goat and hind. The ogress finds out the trick and preps the tub in the courtyard and fills it with vipers. Of the course the King returns in the nick of time and the Ogress throws herself into the tub of vipers. What an ending, What a Happily ever after!

Man! Disney, you forgot all the awesome parts that would have scared me into submission of being the best child on the planet, FOREVER. I digress... but fairytale origins are AWESOME!

Time for a nap...

No comments:

Post a Comment